Monday, April 7, 2014

Room Layout Reflection

For our group reflection Click Here.

For my individual reflection I will be assessing myself on a scale between 0 and 5, 0 being the worst.

My groups task was to redesign the classroom layout. We were tasked with this after we got a SmartBoard, and not all the students would be facing it. I would give myself a 4 for understanding the task. I understood what to do, but I didn't really understand why. Me and my group didn't really think about who the stakeholders would be, and we didn't make a scale model, I would give myself a 2 for breaking down the problem because I didn't think about stakeholders or do any research on how to make a floor plan. The next step was to redefine the problem. I don't really think that we had to do this because the problem was already clear, however Ms.Lees reminded us that she was our stakeholder and she had some things she wanted to add. For redefining the problem I think I deserve a 3 because I don't think there was much for me to clarify, but I do think I helped clarify what we had to do now. That next step was to make a solution, in our case a floor plan. At first it wasn't at all to scale, so that wouldn't give an accurate plan. We then made a scale model (after informed by Ms.Lees) and it was extremely stressful. I would give myself a 4 on this stage because I often took measurements, created the scale furniture and helped place it, but I was still distracted a lot. The next day we executed the plan. I think I deserve a 3-4 on this stage. I didn't get distracted but I often felt overwhelmed because of all we had to do.
Overall I would give myself a 3-4. There was a lot of things I would improve, first of all I would ask the stakeholder what they want first. The next thing I would do is take pictures of where things go so I could put it back that way. The main thing I learned was that being an architect is hard work. I also learned what I need to do in a project where you are doing something for another person.

1 comment:

  1. I like where these reflections are going Jarrod. It might help to break apart the stages (spacing) and indicate how you would improve or what you would do differently if facing a similar task.
    For example - your point about the stakeholders and not really considering who they were is a valid one. I mentioned myself as the primary teacher in the room and the need to have varied seating for introverts, extroverts, different group sizes as well as individual or paired seating. Additionally though, sharing a space with another teacher is another stakeholder and you, as students are stakeholders too. I wonder if you, or the group, realized all of this at the time.

    Another place you could expand upon is where you discuss being overwhelmed at different stages and having trouble staying focused or on task. Question yourself - what was overwhelming and why? What steps could you or the group have taken to make the task(s) less overwhelming? How might you (as a group) worked better to stay focused? Would breaking down the tasks into a list have helped? Or breaking the larger group into smaller groups with different responsibilities? See if you can add a bit more to your reflections but maybe in a different font / colour so we can see how this reflection progresses.

    ReplyDelete